It's been busy this last week. There has been so much to be grateful for and yet not much time to write about it. I have thought everyday at what I'm thankful for. To be honest, some days there didn't seem much to be thankful for and it was really difficult to come up with something. Those days I missed writing on purpose. I don't know why I felt that way but I did. Then other days I felt overfilled with gratitude. Mostly because of kind people. I'm grateful for kind people.
I went to Santa Fe with my girls this last weekend. We went to go see the Nutcracker. The production was spectacular! We really enjoyed the show. However, getting to the show was somewhat awful. Santa Fe is an awful place to drive in. The roads are awful and it's easy to get lost there. The parking is also terrible but I'm getting ahead of myself.
I start out on our drive with an empty tank of gas, the light was on. Right out of town there is a gas station that has cheaper gas so I decided that I could make it to that gas station. I get to that gas station and the pump wouldn't accept my credit card. It kept reading "See Attendant". I went in and found that there system was down and only cash could be used to purchase gas. I only had $6 but I figured that would get me to Santa Fe where I could gas up again. I pull out the $6 and the girl tells me that she can't take cash right now either because the pumps aren't working. What??? She was on the phone making calls and not being very helpful to anyone. I asked how much longer until cash could be used again and she wouldn't tell me anything. I decide to go back to my van and get in and take off. There is gas stations 13 miles up the road. I prayed we would just make it. Well turns out Lydia really needs to go pee. We just went at home!!! I was annoyed. Did I mention that we only had an hour and half to make it there? Time was cutting close. SO I take both Lydia and Andali inside to go to the bathroom. As we walk across the parking lot to go, I see a man putting gas into his car. What? That was like 2 minutes after I had talked to the girl. I just tried to be grateful that I could now get some gas. A whole $6 was put into the tank and we were on our way. Thanks to Lydia who really had to go.
Now we get to Santa Fe and my GPS takes me to a cemetery. After making several U-TURNS and many recalculations I finally decide to turn into the cemetery. The GPS REALLY wanted me to turn into there. I could see some buildings up behind the cemetery so I thought I would try it. It ends up it was an old church. Which was kind of cool to see but I was so lost. I drove around that cemetery and the whole time Andali is saying "that is so sad that all these people died." I was slightly grateful for this opportunity at the time. It gave us some time to talk about death and the Plan of Salvation. Also while there I saw a frail, old, bony man. He had to be at least 90 if not older. He looked like a walking skeleton. He was standing at a grave and walking back to his truck as I passed him. He looked at me and gave me the BIGGEST smile I have ever seen and a wave with his hand. He made that moment happy, which I needed because I felt so lost.
I called up Jared and he gave me directions. He led me to the right part of town and told me where to go. Thanks to him he got me a couple blocks away from it where I then could ask for directions. Several people helped me find our way to the Lensic Center. Which the Lensic center is in the plaza area, downtown where the roads and parking are AWFUL!!! It's much better to park and walk than to try driving around down there. We finally found our way with a help from a lady at a business. I walked into the business and told her I was lost. She was more than willing to help me out! She pointed what building I wanted to get to and then she told me the short cut of getting there faster. I was so grateful! As if that wasn't enough, she then walked us across the street to start us on our way through the shortcut. She was so kind.
We made it just in time. We walked in and sat down and then the doors shut. The usher gave Lydia a booster so she could see better. We were clear in the back because I bought the cheapest seats possible. That was the only booster chair available so we took turns sharing with the girl behind us. The booster was so helpful but it was great to share. They girls made a new friend named Roo.
I was so grateful that Jared was able to direct me there. I was grateful that he let me take the girls out on a date and enjoy our time together. I'm grateful that we made it there and all those people were willing to help me find my way there. I'm grateful for our safe travels. I'm grateful we had just the right amount of gas to get to Santa Fe and back home. I'm grateful we found a place to park the van for free! I'm grateful for the old man who gave me a smile. I'm grateful for the booster chair. I'm grateful for good memories and the memories we get to build at this time of year. Christmas memories are priceless. I'm thankful for little tender mercies that bless my life. Even during times when I'm frustrated or annoyed. Heavenly Father truly cares about us. Help is always there. Stop and Ask for Directions!
No comments:
Post a Comment