I love the sun! Especially in Winter. I'm very grateful for the warmth and light that it gives. I'm grateful for the healing that it can do. For me the sun really does brighten up my day when I take the time to enjoy and appreciate it.
It will be 3 years in January since we have moved away from Utah. It was a really quick move for us, we packed and moved in 5 days! We got rid of tons of stuff because we were in a 3 bedroom house and we knew we would be moving into a smaller apartment. We made the move without having a place to live. That was stressful and an awful feeling. Thankfully Jared's brother let us stay at their house while we found an apartment to live in. It didn't take us long to find something but then we moved everything in and Jared started school right away.
As I have mentioned, school took his whole life. He was NEVER home. He would leave early in the morning and wouldn't get home until really late at night. Basically he came home to sleep and that was it. I'M VERY GRATEFUL THOSE DAYS ARE OVER!!! That was a hard transition for me because I had him home almost 24/7 the full year before. In Utah we were both graduated from college and Jared was just working a full time job but they were night shifts in which he could get some sleep. I'm so thankful that we had that year in between college and graduate school. We really needed that before all the craziness started. It really was nice to build up our relationship. I held onto those moments and memories during the hard times. I'm grateful for those.
Anyways so we move to a new city, that seemed so HUGE to me. I didn't have a vehicle because we only had the van and Jared would have to take that to school. It was winter so it was too cold to go out and play at parks. We were basically locked up in our apartment trying to make the best of it all. Thankfully my sister-in-law would come once a week to take us out to the library or a museum or mall... anything just to get out of the apartment. I really appreciate her!
Well it also being January my New Years Resolution Goal that year was to learn about food, how to make new healthy recipes and to eat more fruits and vegetables. It was going pretty well but I started to get really sick. I couldn't figure out why I was so sick. The first time around I thought it was just the stomach flu. But on and off that stomach flu lasted a month and I knew something was wrong because the pain would get worse each time. We didn't have health insurance because we had just moved and we didn't have money. So I dealt with it, mostly by lying in bed and my girls living off of Netflix. Well then one day I felt great! I decided to go use the workout room and I felt amazing afterwords! I came home and ate a kiwi, showered, got dressed. About that time all the stomach issues started back up and I was so confused. How could I feel so great that morning and have an extreme opposite that fast. I blamed the kiwi and sure enough it was! During that month I was sick it was the kiwi causing all my pains. Whenever I would start getting better I would start eating food again, all the fruits and veggies that were a part of my goal. I was buying the Costco fruits and veggies because you get so much for a good price and it taste so good! I was definitively eating a lot of kiwis during that time. I LOVE the taste of kiwi but unfortantly kiwi's do not love me. Along with avocados. That was the other culprit doing the damage to me.
During the month of misery I was having a hard time with life. The days were extremely long. I was lonely and couldn't believe that this was only the first month of the next 2 1/2 years of my life. It was a little depressing.
I was talking to my mom on the phone and I told her how bad I felt. She told me to take my girls outside to the playground and while they play let the sun hit my skin. Thankfully it was a nice enough day where we didn't have to bundle up super tight. The sun was shinning and the girls had a great time on the playground. I sat there and concentrated on the sun hitting my skin. It was medicine to my soul. I felt so good and so warm. I could still sense a little bit of the awfulness I was feeling. I knew I was still sick but somehow that sun made me feel better. I found myself stripping off my sweatshirt and rolling up my pants so I could feel as much sunshine as possible. I wasn't cold. I felt good and happy. I was so grateful for that moment and so grateful to my mother for telling me to do that.
Since that moment of recognizing what the sun did for me I now use it when I need it. We are outside often because my kids love playing outside. However, for me being outside doesn't always cut it. I have to appreciate the sun and recognize that I'm sitting in it to feel the warmth and goodness. Take a moment to really soak in the sun. Concentrate on the beams hitting your skin. It truly is wonderful. I'm so grateful for the sunshine.
No comments:
Post a Comment