Today I'm grateful for the successful grocery shopping trip that we made as a family. Usually those kinds of trips are awful! I usually really hate grocery shopping with my kids. There is usually tears, fits, added things to the cart, big scenes, dirty looks and stare downs from strangers. Okay, so I might be exaggerating just a little bit. It's not always that bad but sometimes... sometimes it can be bad.
Tonight we went to the store with a plan. We had a shopping list and we stuck to it. Every kid had a job. Andali wrote down all the prices of everything we put into the cart. She loves making list and keeping track of things so this was a perfect job. Lydia she is our fruit and vegetables girl. Her job is to pick out the produce, and she did a great job. Seth just rode in the cart. Usually he cries when we are in the produce section. He always wants to eat the bananas, grapes, apples, oranges or whatever else is in the cart before we pay for it. Usually this is where the tears and fits come in. I was so grateful tonight. We did eat dinner right before going so that we would be shopping on a full stomach. However, the store had a free snack in the produce section. It was so AWESOME! The sign said "kids enjoy a free healthy snack while you shop." Then on the display it had bananas, oranges, apples, and pears. My kids LOVED this and so did I. It was so kind of Smith's to do this. They must have witnessed our fits one too many times. :) I was so grateful for the free snack.
I'm grateful for Jared's help in the store too. I am on a no spending strike this month. It's part of our financial goals for this year and basically I have to go the month of January without spending money. It's been 9 days and I'm super proud of myself. Only 22 more days to go. Point of this is I'm grateful for goals. I'm grateful for the accomplishment and the joy I feel for doing my goals. It is hard sometimes but I know if I do this it will help us so much. I know in the end I will feel so great. I'm grateful for the time we took to plan together. I'm grateful for sticking with our goals while INSIDE the store. I was worried I would spend a lot more money than what we did. I stayed under my budget and for that I'm grateful... and happy! It was a great shopping trip. I'm grateful to end the night on a happy note.
1 comment:
I can totally relate to those shopping days in the produce section! I wish every store would follow the example of providing a healthy snack for the kids. What a great idea and way to get kids to want to eat healthy! I'm going to try your idea of letting dawson write down the prices. I have no doubt that you can accomplish anything you want to do. You are truly an amazing person and I look up to you a lot. I'm so grateful that we got to be such good friends and our kids. We miss you guys!
Post a Comment