Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Jesus Christ

Each month we have an activity with all the women in our ward(church boundaries). I serve on the board that plans these activities and I'm very excited for the one coming up in January. I found the idea on pinterest, Rock, Paper, Scriptures. We aren't following the activity that they did on the website but I loved the theme. Rock-Jesus Christ, Paper-Journals, Scriptures. Put all those together and wonderful things happen. I'm grateful for the inspiration that has come to me as I plan and organize this activity.

As I have been preparing for this activity, I have been looking back on old scripture journals. I have some from high school when I attended seminary. :) They are fun to read. It is fun to see growth. It is fun to see what was important or what my thoughts were at that time in my life. Searching through them has made me notice how much Jesus Christ is a part of those journals. The scriptures testify of Jesus Christ and I'm amazed at his love and grace. I found this in one of my journals.

FAITH is rooted in Jesus Christ
HOPE centers in the atonement
CHARITY is manifest in the pure love of Christ. 

These three attributes are intertwined like strands in a cable and may not always be precisely distinguished. 
-Elder Russell M. Nelson

Our HOPE in the Atonement empowers us with eternal perspective.  
-Steven E. Snow (quorm of the seventy)

When we have hope, we trust God's promises. We have a quiet assurance.
 (True to the Faith, pg. 85-86)

I have been pondering that word, HOPE. What HOPE brings to me. 

I'm grateful for a Savior, who has saved me from my sins. I'm grateful for second chances, which means I'm grateful I can repent. I'm grateful that I don't fully understand the atonement but that I know enough and have the opportunity to continue my learning. The atonement is mind boggling to me. I don't understand it all. However, I'm grateful for a Savior. I'm grateful for Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life and taught how to live. I'm grateful for His sacrifice and the opportunity that I get to partake of it each week. I need to study the sacrament. 

I'm grateful for the hope I feel. The hope for the future. My faith is growing. I'm grateful for those times when I have quiet assurance that things are as they should be. I'm grateful for the eternal perspectives that I sometimes feel. They bring peace. They remind me of what is really important.

 I'm also grateful for Jesus Christ and His atonement because I have needed it many times. I reflect on this past year as it is coming to a close. It has had it ups and downs. There have been many changes in our life during this last year. I have needed my Savior and He has been there.

I'm grateful for the hurt feelings that can subside through His atonement. People will wrong us; sometimes intentionally. We will wrong others. Both are hard to accept and deal with perfectly. I'm grateful there is a way to make things right. I'm grateful we don't have to carry the weight and burden of hate, anger and hurt. I'm grateful for the peace that can come when we ask for it. I'm grateful for Him being there in those moments where I am confused. Confusion is a hard emotion. I have found that I rely on my faith in Him when confusion strikes. That is all I can do. Sometimes we don't have the answers to everything. And it will be okay. 

I love the scripture that the youth of the church have for the 2016 theme.

2 Nephi 31:20
Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: ye shall have eternal life.  

I have missed a lot of days of posting. I'm sad that I missed Christmas, the day that I am most grateful for. I'm grateful for His birth. I'm grateful to Mary and Joseph. There must have been some confusion in the beginning but I'm sure their lives were also filled with Faith and Hope. I think the circumstances of His birth are so unique. This Christmas season as we have acted out, read, and studied the story of His birth I have learned new things. I have gained a stronger testimony that Heavenly Father DOES have a plan for each one of us. The way events happen in our lives, the people that we meet, the relationships we build... they are all a part of His plan. I don't think they are coincidences. If we are willing to align our will with God's, He will place us where we need to be to live a happy and satisfactory life. I do believe everything happens for a reason even though I don't always know what those reasons are; but I can't deny that it isn't part of His plan. There are reasons for growth. Reasons for strength. Reasons for experience. Reasons for life. I love the scripture found in Isaiah.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8-9

My roommate (and friend) taught me this scripture in college. During my sophomore year I had the privilege of living with her. She was the greatest! We would stay up late talking about life, trials, the gospel. Her life was so interesting to me because it was so different from mine. This girl had been through what I would call so much heartache. She didn't view it the same way as I did. We had many different opinions about things but that is what made our talks so much fun. We were constantly learning and getting different perspectives. It was a relationship where we could be completely honest and it wouldn't affect the friendship. It was definitely a unique friendship. She had a testimony that strengthened mine. She taught me how to be better at not judging others. She taught me life isn't perfect; that others have agency and it can affect everyone. But most of all she taught me about forgiveness and about the atonement. I will always cherish those late night discussions. I love my Lainers.

No comments: